Carriage Driving Lessons
Have you ever wondered about driving horses?
Come learn how to drive a carriage in a safe and fun environment. We have experienced horses and fully fitted carriages and carts. Lessons are for teens and adults ages 12 and over.
All of our carriage driving lessons are 8-week long private one-on-one lessons where you will learn everything you need to know from harnessing to navigating a course of cones. All equipment is provided!
Over the 8-week course you will progress through:
- Learning about the parts and purpose of the harness. Learning by actually harnessing a horse.
- Long lining- navigating from the ground the skills needed to steer and handle the reins.
- Ground driving- learning to communicate from the distance behind the horse. It is quite different. Using the long lines and practicing “go and whoa”
- Hitching the horse- it is not as simple as just hooking up. Adjusting and making everything safe. How to balance the cart. Take a short drive.
- A review of the purpose and part of the harness and hooking up to go for a drive.
- More driving. Practice of “go and whoa” and navigating the large driving arena.
- Driving and steering. Not as simple as it looks. Learning to navigate the cones course.
- Driving Red Light;Green Light. Transitions in the cart.
All of our carriage riding instructors hold Carriage Association of America Level One and Road Driving Certifications. They will show you how it is done and how much fun it is!
As with all of our programs, carriage driving is inclusive to participants with disabilities. Please contact us to allow us to determine what equipment would be needed.
Note: Classes run during these general hours, but we cannot guarantee a specific day/time for lessons in advance of registration. Once enrollment for a series closes (12 days before the start date), we work as quickly as we can to set the schedule based on our enrolled students’ needs/preferences and instructor availability. If, for some reason, we are unable to accommodate your schedule, we will issue you a full refund or a credit for other Greenwell programming.
2020 Session dates:
Feb 24 – April 24th (no class week of April 5th)
April 27 – June 20th
June 22 – Aug 15th
Aug 24th – Oct 17th
Oct 19th – Dec 19th
Dec 27th – Feb ??, 2021
Registration closes 12 days before each 8-week session starts.
You may register for one or multiple sessions at a time with 50% payment due at registration, and the remaining balance will be auto billed at the end of the 4th week of the session. Registering for lessons constitutes a commitment to pay.
Private carriage driving lessons: $400
Riding Lesson Cancellation Policy:
In the event that Greenwell Foundation cancels a lesson for any reason, the participant will receive a make-up lesson. Participants will be notified of a cancelation 3 hours before their lesson time.
In the event the participant gives 24 hours’ notice that they will need to cancel the lesson, the participant will receive one make- up lesson per session. If notice is not given more than 24 hours ahead, a make-up lesson will not be rewarded.